Sunday, December 16, 2007

29, 4 kids, and a minivan

Okay Jenny, I don't really know how to do this but here goes nothing. You all will have to excuse the bad picture. I was taking it of myself at the end of the day when all my makeup is off and the hair is done for the day. I took like 90 pictures and just kept saying, this must be bad lighting, there is no way I look that old!!! But is probably only comes as a shock to me!But really, I am okay with turning 29. 25 was really hard for me. I could finally rent a car at 25, the only barrier beyond that is the senior citizens discount at age 65 (and I am all over that!) So being old is old hat to me now! I am feel like my life is even better than I imagined it would be at 29. I wouldn't botox a single crows eye or smile line on my aging face! I want the world to know that God gave me a ton of reasons to smile about in my 29 years.







Things that make me happy!
  1. My husband and children of course (and everything that goes with them)
  2. Staying in touch with great friends!
  3. Sales or getting a great deal on anything!
  4. Hoover steam-vac
  5. sappy old Cary Grant or Audry Hepburn movies
  6. The smell of Laudry detergent
  7. Chocolate or carmel or both
  8. Winning austin at a game
  9. Baby blues comics or funny greeting cards
  10. Suprises (except when my mom doesnt tell me she is coming into town and shows up at the doorstep when my house is a mess. NOT a good suprise!)

Recap of my Birthday
Well, now that the day is over and the kids are all tucked in bed and looking so sweet and cute todays events seem almost comical so I will give you a quick recap of today's events. Austin is on call today which means he left at 5:30 this morning and will get home tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m. to sleep for a few hours before going back in at 5:30 p.m. So, on my own today, the kids ALL woke up to my delight 45 min earlier than usual. After beginning the sunday rituals of dressing and doing everyones hair I hear a huge crash in the kids bathroom. I run in to find that one of my children was trying to be a Gecko and climb the bathroom wall, using the towel rack as a support, ripping the entire rack off of the wall to the floor and leaving a huge hole in my wall. After a long exhausting effort to get everyone to church (still dressed and with hair still in tack) We sit down in the pew and instantly the kids start fighting. During the sacrament one child decides to dip her fingers in the sacrament cups and swirl them as I am helping her sisters with theirs. Then I feel something warm and wet on my lap. Yep, the baby shot right out the side of her diaper all over my skirt (which didn't hide it well) Of course today I didn't grab an extra outfit for the baby. But there is no time to go home because primary is starting soon. So the baby only has a dress top, no socks, no tights, no shoes! Then one daughter decides to show her underpants to one and all and when asked to put her dress down she gets mad at me and flips her dress up above her belly button! Need I say I was embarrassed! That same child showed her underpants all during primary, the other wouldn't stay in her seat, I was carrying a baby the entire time and now I have no left arm, someone asked me if I was having a happy birthday and I broke down in tears, when we got home we ate some mac and cheese and the kids fought until they fell asleep! Anyway, I'm sure you get the picture. So I have decided what I want for my 30th birthday, To stay in bed!!! On the good side though, Emma madsen (Mike's wife) brought over a cake yesterday to wish me happy birthday and it is to die for good. So I am currently erasing any bad memories of today with chocolate! Bless Emma!

Random wishes: A new guitar, to go to Israel, twins, a panini maker, to learn to play the violin.

11 comments:

The Kalcichs said...

Happy Birthday, Joni! So funny! I know I shouldn't laugh at your birthday disaster, but isn't it just so fitting. Would you expect anything less but a birthday without your husband and the kids going crazy? I'm sure you still managed it all beautifully as you always do. You are an amazing mom. Your hair is so cute! And I can't believe you wish for twins, that is my greatest fear. I hope you had a good night time for the end of your birthday! Thanks for your wonderful example.
-Ann

Rhett and Dora said...

That is you at the end of the day without make-up?... I think you look beautiful! Not a day over 29!
Hopefully that cake was able to make up for the craziness that happened. Chocolate is a magic eraser! I hope today is a better start to a fabulous new year for you!:)

Katie and Steve said...

Not only was he on call but you got to take them all to church alone on your b-day. The stress that causes me is pretty real. And after all of that, you still want twins. You're a brave soul. Your hair is so cute, and you look beautiful. Happy b-day!

Maggie said...

Joni,
Wow, what a busy day. I am sorry that it didn't go as you wanted. Pretty soon you will be able to laugh at your birthday. I think it is a major accomplishment that your girls were all wearing underwear. I once saw a little girl lift her dress at church and she was as naked as they come. So kudos to you for getting the underwear on and to stay on. By the way I love your haircut. It looks very sophisticated. I hope you get to go out with Austin tonight.

Adam Jensen said...

Joni you look BEAUTIFUL in that picture!!! So great! I love your hair and your make up looks great. Mine is totally non existent at the end of the day. You are a beautiful lady! Happy Birthday, sorry it was crazy. Man it seems like some days when it rains it pours, eh? I hope you and Austin get to go out soon! and I hope next year you do get to sleep all day. If I were around I would steal your kids for you so you could deal with less stress. Taking 4 girls to church (which is way more work than boys!) with out your husband should get you straight into the Celestial Kingdom, so no worries about that!
Miss you!
Rachel

The Mathews Family said...

I agree with Rachel.. Getting girls ready for church is more work!

Thanks for posting this, Joni :) It was so fun to read and it just reminded me of how awesome you are! Happy Happy Birthday and I'm sorry it wasn't the amazing, relaxing, pampered day that you deserve. I hope you DO have twins. BOYS!! ;) They would be lucky kids for sure! I like your wish for a panini maker. Good idea! YUMM

Jonathan & Rachel said...

First of all, you look beautiful!! I love, love your hair. So funny about your birthday-with 4 busy kids and a resident husband I guess you wouldn't expect anything less! You are such a good mom and wife-and there is nothing more important than that. Happy, happy birthday!

banks said...

Ditto to all the comments. You look so good. I pulled up the blog and I was said to myself "wow, she looks so beautiful" Your haircut looks so awesome. Anyways, it sounds like you made it through some how. Brett was on call on my birthday, and it wasn't as bad as your day, but it was kindof a lonely day without him here. I hope you are enjoying time with Austin right now. Thanks for taking the time to post and share your birthday experience with us. Happy Birthday! Kami

hughes family said...

joni, happy birthday! ok, thats you at the END of the day? are you joking? please tell me you are. i don't even look like that at the beginning of the day, let alone ANY day!! you look GREAT! and you're NOT old... :)
sorry you had an "adventurous" day at church solo. i had someone ask me the other day if my husband was at all interested in the church...they think we're crazy for taking kids to church alone, but if we didn't, we would never go! thanks to emma for bringing you a choco cake. that can cure ALL ills. happy birthday! you look GREAT!
....twins? careful what you wish for...
Megan

Shelly and Ken said...

Happy Birthday! I love your haircut. It looks soooo cute. I think it is a trend, Ken was on call on my birthday too. He did make it up to me later though by taking the kids all day while I got to go and do whatever I wanted. Your story hits so close to home. Hopefully we can laugh at it all one day. I agree about the dress incident. We had a girl in our primary that was flashing people and she had no underwear on. Gotta love chocolate when all the kids are in bed and the house is quiet.
Shelly

Brizzee said...

Joni,

I didn't even know that was you when i pulled up the blog. Wow what an adventure. I will tell you what i think that everyone of us have had similar days like that. I had a day like that about two weeks ago and it left me crying in my closet so my kids couldn't see me and I wouldn't wake Dave up who had been on call all night, and I have half the kids you do. I will tell you what, residency sure does leave me nestalgic for medical school. I even had a dream that all of our Arizona friends met and had vacation at disneyland. Pretty pathic huh. i sure do miss the support group we had. I just keep having everyone tell me "it will all be worth it." I just say "yeah yeah" anyway happy birthday. Love your hair cut.

amy