Sunday, October 12, 2008

Happy Belated Birthday


Pics of us at wedding in Utah and then some at seaworld in texas. Busy fall. This is only one I can find as 28 year old.





Sorry, I guess this birthday post comes a bit late. I forgot that I had to do it and I am not quite sure what to put exactly but here goes. I had a fabulous time celebrating my 28th birthday...ha ha. My boys contracted the rotavirus...so I spent lots of time that week cleaning up diarrhea and poop. Lucked out with Amelia because she got the new rotavirus vaccine so didn't get it. At least they held it in on my birthday and started again early the next morning. I was in Vale, OR with my in-laws as Trent is in San Antonio for training. His parents actually work in the temple on Wednesdays so it was just me and the kids at home. We just hung out with our puke buckets. Then when they got back, they took me out to eat at the Starlite Cafe, the only restaurant in Vale. And, that's about all. Trent wanted to buy me an ipod but I told him to wait til we got home so we could do the research and figure out exactly what I want. He sent me a cute card though.


As for turning 28...hmmmm. Not much different. Right now I am selfishly in my own world only concerned with me and my family. I am not involved with any clubs or organizations as I have been all over the country and not really settled in anywhere. We've been stationed in Minot for 3 1/2 months but I've only physically been present there for about 5 weeks total. I am getting ready to head back after being gone for 6 weeks. Projects I've been working on are just food storage and parenting strategies. I have been visiting valuesparenting.com in order to be a little better at mothering and am making plans for when I get home. I've develped more of a love for motherhood over the past few months and my three little ones are my prized possessions. We have lots of fun and they are good kids. Amelia is the apple of my eye. Right now I am actually in Texas with her visiting Trent just for the weekend. The boys are still in Oregon. We do way too much traveling, but family is everything.


My mother-in-law has been teaching me to can while I've been here so we have done peaches, pears, applesauce, jam, tomatoes, salsa, and tomato juice. I have been dehydrating tons of fruit that I've bought from the local orchards and farms. It's been great. I am trying to continue implementing raw foods (traveling makes it a little harder) and if I get my workout in, I feel pretty good about life. Things I would like to do more of include reading, triathlons, and playing more piano.


Sorry this is so random. I'm not all that exciting but hopefully doing what's important in life. Happy to hear everyone is doing well and all those little ones are arriving safely.

8 comments:

Brizzee said...

Your hair looks so cute. Did you get it cut? Your travels seem crazy. Are you still coming through here next week. I hope so I would love to see ya.

The Kalcichs said...

Karie! You look great, as always. I can't believe how much you travel and how much Trent is gone! You are a SuperMom! I just finished reading a book called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. I think you might enjoy it since you've been doing lots of canning. It took me a while to get through it, but I was glad that I read it. Anyway, Happy Late Birthday!

hughes family said...

karie, happy birthday!! you ARE supermom! just travelling for one week alone with my kids is so much work and i get so homesick for my own space/routine. it is hard to eat a lot of raw food when you're away from home, but you just do the best you can. you look amazing and i agree, your hair is so cute.
what you said about mothering and being with your kids reminded me of my favorite book, "Mitten Strings for God" by Katrina Kenison. It is so great, I think you would like it. it puts things into perspective and helps me enjoy the little unscripted, unplanned moments with my kids. I've read it twice. it reminds me to take in the magic that children are and to love them and guide them in a loving way. (i don't think yelling is part of that...but i'm working on it! ha ha!!) anyway, i HIGHLY recommend it!
anyway, i'm sorry your birthday was filled with bad poops and sickness...that is never fun, but even worse on your b-day. but so good you could be with your family and visit so many of them.
happy birthday!
love, megan

The Mathews Family said...

YAY! Thanks for posting this Karie! I don't even recognize your boys. They've changed SO much! They're just as cute as they can be and as for Amelia, well, she's TOO cute!!!

I hope your travels are safe and that you guys can get back to some "normalcy" very soon!! Happy belated birthday!!

(((HUGS)))

Adam Jensen said...

Happy Birthday Karie! It is so hard being all over the place, but I am glad you have gotten to see family. Take care and thanks for the bday post. You look great :)

Kami Banks said...

Karie, It is so good to hear from you. It sounds like you have been super busy with traveling and stuff. It has probably helped the time go fast with Trent being gone. You always amaze me because you are always trying to better yourself. I need to be more like you. I hope you find a good ipod when Trent comes home. I love mine. I use it about everyday. Loves

Maggie said...

Happy late birthday!! I hope you enjoyed it. I bet Sea World was tons of fun. Crazy how much time you spend away from home. Hopefully your life will settle down soon.

Joni said...

Karie, Happy Birthday! You look amazing! Wow, your life sounds like it is full of adventure right now and you are totally on top of it! You are an inspiration! Sorry about the crazy rota-virus business. That can never be fun but it definately helps us appreciate the beauty of health. I am glad you all are feeling better. Happy birthday again!