Thursday, January 3, 2008

Amelia Deirdre Shelton

Okay, so my husband said he posted a blog about the baby. I just read it yesterday...typical husband's blog I guess. Short and bare minimum of info. Well, I will give you the real story. I got my "membranes stripped" the 11th at about 3p. I started contracting just before midnight but didn't really now if it was "real" so I didn't wake up trent til about 1:30am when I was like, "I think I need to go to the hospital." Of course I was holding out as long as possible as I did not want to drive all the way downtown 45 minutes in the snow and then get sent home. Plus, we had to wake up the neighbor and drop off the kids. Poor people. Anyway, left for the hospital at 2am and made it at 2:45. I had Trent check me to make sure something was happening before we left, but he's like..."I have no idea. All I feel is a bunch of hair. For all I know you could be an 8 or 9." Contractions were coming every 5 minutes though...remember I was induced with both boys so I had no idea what to expect. Anyway, I was an 8 when they checked me at 3am and they rushed me up to L and D. I thought I was going to die with the contractions. Anesthesia came and started to numb my back for the epidural, but while he was doing that my water broke and I said, "I think the baby is coming out" They laid me down and I pushed a bit but then they made me stop and "hold it." Come on....seriously. I guess the cord was around her neck tight and they were trying to get it off. She was ghost white and it took her a long time to pink up and she didn't cry for a while so it was a little scary. Plus with the irregular heart beat...thus the reason for the NICU...but everything normalized within several hours and they let me have her back. SO, she was born at 3:33am on 12-12-07. Amelia Deirdre (pronounced deer-dree) which is my mothers name. She is doing great and is so cute. She looks just like Brayden when he was born except she can wrinkle her forhead like Trent and Lane. Brayden and I can't wrinkle our forheads...weird. Here is a picture and I will get some cuter ones posted within a few days.

So, Christmas was wonderful. I had 14 people at my house and Trent's mom is coming next week. Call me crazy, but it was great. My boys were completely entertained with all my brothers and sisters that I just slept in with Amelia and held her. They didn't seem to mind at all. The last of my family leaves tomorrow. I am bummed yet ready to get back into some type of routine. I am most nervous about what I am going to do with the boys all day that is productive and not just something involving a screen...Brayden is not in preschool. We do a little on our own but I need some more ideas. Let me know what you guys do all day with the kiddos. Okay, this is long enough. Anxious to hear what is going on with everyone.

10 comments:

Joni said...

Congrats Karie! She is soooo Cute!!! That is a whirlwind delivery. It was fun hearing the details. I laughed when I read Trents post. It is good to hear what really happened. Pretty scary about the cord. I am so glad she was okay though. Keep sending more picts!

Jill said...

Karie, congratulations!! She is soo cute. I like your side of the story with all the details. It sounds like a crazy, with Caden I didn't get the epidural either. I am glad you loved having all your family in town and there to help with the kids. Good luck with the upcoming weeks.
JIll

Shelly said...

Thank you for the post. It was nice getting the 'real' story. She is very cute. I'm so glad that she is doing so well now.
Winter is hard with kids. Trying to find ways to entertain them. We do go out and play in the snow but it is a lot of work to get them all bundled up and it has been too cold today. We also go to playgroup at the church, the art museum (they have a free family center), and playground world (store that sells playground equipment, they open it for the public on Mondays and Fridays). If we are home we play games (they got hi-ho cherry-o and candy land from my brother), the girls like to play house, they also love putting on music and dancing, we do playdoh, coloring (not much, girls aren't big fans), puzzles, watercolor painting, puzzles, read stories, Kailyn is big into drawing on her magna doodle lately. We also go to walking group and the YMCA (the girls are starting swimming lessons soon). Some days we are so busy we are only home for naps but with the colder weather it seems like we are stuck inside more and it is hard sometimes keeping them entertained. Having friends over to play helps. So these are some of the things we do unfortunately they probably don't help you much since a lot of them are kind of "girlie."

Jonathan & Rachel said...

She is so beautiful!! Congratulations-you are my hero for doing it all without an epidural! You are lucky you made it to the hospital at all! What a fun story to hear-it makes me excited to have another one. I would love to not be induced this time-but I just get so miserable and anxious that I can't stand it! Good luck with everything-I'm sure it will all be great!! Congrats again and enjoy all the pink!

The Mathews Family said...

Yeah Karie! Welcome little Amelia! You are ADORABLE! What a beautiful little girl!

Thanks for posting - Next time you have a baby they'd better just induce you at the hospital hun. YIKES! Glad she's ok. Annabelle had the same hb thing, but yeah, it went away. It drove James nuts while she was on the monitor, though.

As far as entertaining the boys, I have the same problem you do, well with one major exception. We DO get to go outside often. When we don't, however, we do a lot of building blocks, crafts and just recently paper airplane contests. They love throwing them off the balcony and watching to see where they land. Also, James has been looking up online silly little magic tricks to do with them and they love that too. Another fun game is get a little box and stand at the bottom of the stairs. Have them throw off their stuffed animals one at a time and see if you can catch them in the box. We laughed for hours the other day doing this. Dumb, I know. :)

Adam Jensen said...

She is so beautiful!!! I am glad everything turned out and that things went quickly and you didn't have to get sent home :) Yes, details are good and guys tend to leave those out:) I can't wait to see more pictures! We are struggling as well with the winter snow and staying entertained... Kyler is always wanting to watch shows all the time cause i think he is bored! we do a lot of the same stuff the Bassetts do, playdough, coloring, etc. Kyler likes to make caves and tunnels with the chairs and some blankets. We had fun in the closet with a flashlight making shadow animals yesterday. I think you just have to be creative and think like a kid... We go to the library at least once a week... But if I do one creative fun thing a day or every other day, I feel good :) Christmas toys were working, but they are starting to be old news :) Good luck with the up coming weeks!
Rachel

hughes family said...

karie,
she is so darling! thanks for sharing the details and for posting a picture! I'm glad things are going well--
Megan

Maggie said...

What a sweet, sweet baby. I am so glad that your family helped with your boys while you spent time with Amelia. I don't have any advice on entertaining kids. I don't know what we do all day but it isn't near as fun as what everyone else is doing.

Unknown said...

Oh- she is perfect. What a beautiful girl! You are amazing getting her here and I'm so glad she's healthy! I wish our kids could play together during the day to stay entertained. Zeke's favorite thing lately is having me hide something and then I make a treasure map for him to find it. He's into pirate treasure. Congratulations and I think more TV time is totally allowed when you have a new baby! Go easy on yourself.

-Ann

Unknown said...

Sorry-
I'm in NM for a couple of weeks so that just posted under my mom's name!
-Ann