Sunday, January 13, 2008

Hayden Charles Jensen

I am still planning on finishing my birthday post, but I wanted to show off my little baby pictures first :)

Sorry for the delayed announcement of our son!
Hayden Charles Jensen was born January 7th at 8:15am, he was 8lbs 15oz, smaller than I thought:) ! He has light reddish/blond hair and bright blue eyes!!! Just like his dad!!
Immediately after his birth he needed oxygen and continued to need it. After a little while they found that he had pulmonary hypertension and a PDA and PFO patent ductus arteriosis and patent foramen ovale. When a baby is in his mother they have holes in the walls of the heart bypassing the lungs to pump oxygen to their body because the mother provides the oxygen. Well when a baby is born these holes close and the blood is pumped to their little lungs and then they can get oxygen in their blood all by themselves. Well Hayden's heart didn't do that and because of high blood pressure in the vessels to his lungs he can't pump blood to his lungs. Anyway they had him on 100% oxygen in a little hood and had maxed out all the interventions they could do at our NICU, so they sent him to Children's hospital in Denver. Also some of the providers noted that he had some features of Downs Syndrome and they sent for tests to find out.

It was so hard to not see my little baby but twice before he had to be transported to the NICU an hour away! And especially hard that I hadn't been able to hold him because of my c section and then because he was in the oxygen hood.
My c-section went well and I recovered quickly and was discharged Wednesday afternoon and Adam and I were able to drive to see Hayden everyday. Each day he improved so quickly, thanks to the priesthood blessing he received, and the faith and prayers of so many!!! (THANK YOU!!!!). They were able to decrease the oxygen at a quick rate, and it just seemed like everyday was a triumph and he got stronger and stronger.

We found out that he definitely has Downs Syndrome and while it was not what we expected and shed many tears.... we feel he will be a special blessing to our family and that the Lord selected us specifically for this special little spirit to love and raise him to meet his best potential. We are anxious to find out all about him and do the best we can.

Yesterday he was finally discharged!!!! It was the best day! His PDA has closed, but not his PFO. He still has pulmonary hypertension, but he is doing well and was sent home to use on a small amount of oxygen. He could need oxygen for years or just a few weeks, only time will tell. But we are just so happy to be home together as a family, where we can get to know him and especially for Kyler to get to love his brother!

It was quite a week.... One of the hardest and best of my life. I am just so thankful for our sweet little boy. He is so sweet and precious. Adam has been my rock and such a support and great loving dad. Kyler has been a champ this week staying home with my mom and being so patient and understanding. I know the Lord blessed him with comfort this week. We are so thankful to be home as a family... it's great!
Well love you all. Thanks for all the prayers, gifts, visits, phone calls, etc. Adam's residency program has been so great as well as his fellow residents/friends in their support and prayers. We are also thankful for our friends from church and their love and support too! Adam has been able to have this week and next off, which is so great!
Well we will keep you all updated as things change and progress. We are so thankful for our little man!

14 comments:

hughes family said...

Congratulations Rachel! He looks so sweet--I LOVE his fuzzy little blond head, and i love how alert and awake he is in the pictures!

I am so sorry this has been such an emotional week for you--best of the best and worst of the worst in terms of emotions i'm sure. I can't even imagine the roller coaster you have been on and the stress you have gone through, in addition to just recovering from a c-section. I know Heavenly Father has sent this very, very special spirit to you two--He doesn't make mistakes! Hayden was meant to come to your loving home with such a GREAT big brother to teach him the ropes of life. I am glad that his PDA resolved--did they give him meds for that? I have a really great story about having a child with special needs that someone gave to me when Charles was diagnosed with autism. It just so nicely illustrates the idea that with a child with special needs you don't get what you "planned" for--you get something very different, but you learn to love the cards you are dealt. I'll email it to you.
We are thinking about you so much and praying for you and sweet Hayden.
Love, Megan

Shelly and Ken said...

Wow!, I can't believe you have such big babies. He is so cute and so alert! I can't believe his eyes are open in almost every picture. I really can't even imagine what you are going through but can imagine it is a roller coaster like Megan said. I'm so glad that Adam was able to get some time off to be with you. I just want you to know that we love you and that you are so blessed to have such a beautiful baby boy. Our prayers will be with you and your family.
Love
Shelly

Brizzee said...

Rachel,
Oh my goodness. I don't even know where to start to comment on all you have been through. First of all, how awesome are you that you have dealt with all you have so well. It is an amazing person who can deal with what you have after just having a baby. I can't imagine how hard that and scary that would be to not have a healthy child that you just can't hold right away and take home the next day. Congratulations that he is finally here though and you get to be with him. I'm sure your lives will be so enriched as you get to know this little spirit. I hope all is well with you and you are feeling good. You look great by the way. I wish we were all there so we could take our turns helping out. It seems now we need eachother more than ever and we are all scattered. I sure miss the days. Anyway, he is adorable congrats and let us know if there is anyway we can help.

amy

The Mathews Family said...

Congratulations Jensen Family! Rach - he really is so beautiful! I can't imagine the mix of emotions you have had over the last week. I admire you and your fantastic attitude about the whole thing. I can't think of a better person to be the mom of a perfect soul like Hayden. You'll all be in our prayers- wish we could do more :( HUGS!!!

Jenny

The Shelton Family said...

Rachel,
You are so awesome. What a trooper and he is so darling. First though, I wish you would have called to tell me you were down here. We could have brought you dinner or you could have slept here to save some time. You are such an angel and he is so lucky to come to your family. Please let us know if you come down again so we can help out.
Karie

Jonathan & Rachel said...

Congratualtions!!! There is nothing like getting that long awaited baby here! I can't imagine the emotional rollercoaster of not being able to hold your little guy for so long! I'm so glad you now have him home!! How lucky he is to have come to such a PERFECT little family with parents who love eachother and their children so much and a brother who will love him more than you can ever imagine! I'm sure your heart is incredibly full!! We'll all look forward to hearing the good news on little Hayden's heart condition! Congratulations again-You guys truly are amazing parents, people, and friends!!

The Kalcichs said...

Rachel,
My heart was just breaking thinking about you not being able to hold your baby. I am so glad the he is home with you now. You are so strong! I am so glad that you are recovering well from your c-section. Hayden is so sweet. I just can't get over the peaceful look on his little face. I hope you're still taking some time for yourself to recover. I can't imagine recovering from a c-section and having all the other emotions on top of it. You are truly amazing! You guys will be in our prayers!
-Ann

Maggie said...

What a sweet baby. He looks
big but in the carseat he looks so tiny. I just love holding the tiny baby with the legs all curled up tight. A perfect little love ball on the shoulder. Congratulations. By the way, I sent you an email with a story from Parenting magazine. Have fun with your tiny baby and get some rest.
Maggie

Joni said...

He is so precious! I love the pictures! I am so glad all has turned out well and he has been able to come home. I can't imagine the feelings you must have had not having your baby with you those first few days. I wish I was closer and there was more I could do than just offer up prayers for you and your family. I have to say that little Hayden is so blessed to come to your family. You and Adam are so filled with love and kindness and will be perfect parents for such a special gift. He is so sweet. Congrats! We will be praying for you and Hayden's continued recovery.

Kami Banks said...

Rachel,
I having been thinking about you all day since I first read your email. I pray that you will be comforted in this emotional time. You are an amazing person, and I am sure you will have many highs and many lows with your sweet Hayden. Congrats on getting him home. You are in my prays. Love Ya, Kami

Rhett and Dora said...

Look how handsome he is! I love the name Hayden. :) Our Hayden
(5) was pleased to hear he had the same name. Enjoy all of those sweet baby snuggles we all miss. Make sure to take some time to let your body heal too. C-sections are hard to deal with.
Dora

AnnMarie said...

I love little boys! The picture of Kyler kissing Hayden is so cute. Isn't it wonderful how accepting little kids are. He must be so excited to have his brother here finally. We have been thinking of you guys. Just one day at a time right?

Jill said...

Rachel, I have been thinking of you guys these last couple of days. I am glad that you are recovering quickly, but ditto with everyone else to give yourself some rest and take naps when you can. Hayden is so cute in the pictures. Hope he continues to recover. I wish I could do more for you guys. love ya, Jill

Rachel said...

Thanks everyone for your sweet words, prayers and encouragement! It helps more than you know.
love, Rachel