Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I feel like I'm in trouble...

I'm sorry, girls! Here I am letting my husband share our news and I'm not doing my part. I actually am pregnant! I'm a little scared to admit it. I guess I've been in denial just because I haven't felt quite right. Damon has been dying to tell people and I've been really reserved. He kept the kids this weekend so I could go to Time Out for Women in Chicago and then I felt so indebted to him (Why did I feel indebted to him for watching his own kids?) that I let him post the news. I thought it would be funny if any of the men actually told their wives about it; like a little test for our husbands on gossiping. Anyway, I was waiting for my birthday post to announce (which I'll just do now, instead of tomorrow) and then I felt like I was letting you guys down, which I can't handle. So here it all is. I'm due October 23rd, but I haven't even been to the doctor and I haven't even thrown-up yet so can I really be pregnant? We're excited, but I think I'm realistically nervous at the same time. I don't know how you girls have done it. Being pregnant and having kids during intern year deserves some kind of medal. I think Heavenly Father knew that I couldn't handle it, so He held out on us for a few months with this baby. It feels like it's been so long that I hardly know what's normal or what to do anymore. Zeke is so excited. We told the kids on Sunday and Zeke has pampered me ever since. I can't believe what a sweetheart he has been.

In other news we are moving at the end of May. Damon was offered a spot at a new residency program in Detroit at a really scary hospital. You know, the kind with naked crack whores running down the hallways. Just what he was looking for. So we're in the process of looking for a house to buy in one of the worst markets in the country. We're going to try to buy a foreclosed home so we'll have some instant equity. It shouldn't be too hard in this economy.

So, I've been thinking about this birthday post and dreading putting up my picture. I don't have a new cut haircut or anything that's changed. Actually, I've already gotten a little fatter so that's a change. But I kept thinking about how on American Idol they have to say something that America doesn't already know about them and some of them are really lame because they just aren't that interesting. Well, I'm one of the lame ones. I thought I could write the things I hate about Detroit, but that wouldn't be a very positive birthday post and I don't know if there's room on the blog for it. So here's what I finally came up with:

I have a ridiculous amount of nicknames. I thought I would share some of them with you and give you a glimpse into the deeper or should I say shallower side of Ann.

1. Annie - no one in my family calls me Ann. I have been Little Orphan Annie since I was a little girl running around with my wild red hair (yes, I am a red head) and no shoes.

2. Mrs. Fishburn - Damon calls me this which totally cracks me up since it is my maiden name and then he throws the MRS. in there. I feel like he's talking about my mom but he never calls me Kalcich.

3. Annabelle - no wonder I like your baby girl so much, Jenny. I have a cousin that always calls me by this name.

4. Smoff - My oldest sister calls me this. We used to have a tag game and whoever was "it" was the smoff and being the youngest, I was always "it".

5. Pecosita - This is Spanish for little freckle. Growing up in New Mexico I was quickly renamed for all those freckles on my face.

6. Zhu Zhu - This is from It's A Wonderful Life. One Christmas we were watching it and my dad made some comment about how they should have named me Zhu Zhu. My brother decided it was a great way to tease me and the name stuck.

7. Granny Annie - Yes, I am an 80 year old woman stuck in my almost 27 year old body. I would much rather stay at home to read, quilt, bake, and do crossword puzzles. Plus my best friend is my 91 year old Grandma. Granny's rock!

Well, I hope I have followed the Birthday Post rules and satisfied everyone with my BIG NEWS! Here's my picture.

Oh wait, that's not me. Here's the real Granny Annie with the Chicago sky line for a backdrop:

Man, I look like death with those raccoon eyes, but this is the best... or the only picture I've got.

I miss you guys. Let's all meet up in Chicago some day or anywhere for that matter!

11 comments:

Adam Jensen said...

Happy Birthday Ann! And congratulations!!! You look great, you don't have racoon eyes, it's just the lighting!
I loved all your nicknames :) so funny. I really miss you and everyone. That is awesome that you went to time out for women, i went to that a few years back and have always wanted to return. Hope you have a good day tomorrow and you do look like julianne moore!

hughes family said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANN!! and CONGRATS on the pregnancy. I think being pregnancy while managing other kids is SO hard--i felt like eva's pregnancy was almost as hard as the triplets because i got NO rest when all i wanted to do was sleep. anyway, you look great, and i'm glad you got a get-a-way for the weekend. Your nick-names are GREAT! you are such a great person and mom! hang in there, and keep us posted on how things are going. i know its scary to 'announce' these things early, but we'll all hope things go well!!
love, meg

banks said...

Happy Birthday! I love this birthday thing because I get to find out more about everyone. You have always been such an inspiration to me. You are so down to earth, true to who you are, so kind and loving to others, up for anything, even kill kindo of girl, etc, etc. I miss seeing you. I hope you have a great birthday. CONGRATS on being pregnant. I couldn't be happier for you. Hopefully you can enjoy this pregnancy as much as the others. Good luck also with the move. Love, Kami

The Mathews Family said...

You're so not in trouble! I should have known you were just waiting for the right moment.. SORRY! Anyway, congratulations and you look GREAT! The extra pounds (that no one can see) look good on you :) Actually, usually when I think of you, the image in my brain is of you pregnant! Probably because you were 8 months pregnant with Zeke when we met?!? It definitely agrees with you.

Yeah for Annabelle! Such a cute name :) We call her Annie all the time too. I love the thought of her being percotious and wise beyond her years just like little orphan Annie. That actually describes you pretty well too.

Happy Birthday Ann- to one sexy pregnant girl that hates Detroit and loves grannies. Hope its awesome!!! YOU DESERVE IT!

Maggie said...

Happy Birthday and Congratualtions!! I think you are doing an awesome job with your kids. Everytime I check your blog the pictures are adorable and the kids look very happy. I am glad that Zeke pampers you. You deserve to be pampered and with hubby not around Zeke is a much better choice than getting a boyfriend. Here's to hoping you don't throw up or feel nausea the whole pregnancy.

Jonathan & Rachel said...

You are so funny! I loved reading your blog-and there is NO better news than you will be having another baby-congratulations a thousand times over!!! Hopefully all goes well-those first few months are always a little stressful! Hope you had a very HAPPY 27th!!

Jill said...

Ann Happy 27th Birthday!! I was thinking of you a couple of weeks ago and knew your birthday was coming up. Hope you have had fun this week.
That is exciting to be having another little one. It is hard having older kids to take care of while your pregnant but I also loved how excited they were about the baby too. hope you don't get too tired and nautious these first few weeks. Glad your move won't be as far this time. I sure miss having you around.
Jill

Shelly and Ken said...

Congratulations. Having older kids and being pregnant is way hard. I hope for your sake you don't get sick. I was so sick when I was pregnant with Caden and it was no fun! I loved reading your post. It made me miss our girls' nights. I think we should definitely get together.

Britt said...

Ann! This is a wee bit late, but Happy Birthday anyway! It sounds like you had a great time in Chicago and props to Damon for doing some toilet training with Hallie since he is the master of avoiding diaper changes. Shyler told me the other night you were expecting in October. For not one who gossips he had to share this news with me! I was so excited! When you start feeling cruddy just remember that in most cases tomorrow is always better! The Lord knows you and loves you otherwise he wouldn't have chosen you for this time and this stage in mortality to bare forth one of his valiant! I can't think of a greater honor than for this babe to call you his/her mother! Congrats! love you!

Joni said...

Ann, Sorry this is comming way after your birthday, but happy 27th and congrats on the exciting news!!! You are such a terrific mom and a little baby couldn't be luckier than to come into your home! What a wonderful time in life, huh! I hope you continue to feel well! Good luck and Congrats again!

Rhett and Dora said...

hope you had a fabulous day! and congrats on the little one on the way.
dora