Sunday, January 11, 2009

My Birthday Post


Here is my picture sitting at the computer writing this post and taking this picture for ya'll on a sunday night.



Ok, I can't believe it has been a year since my last birthday post. SO MUCH has happened since last January. I can't believe all that has changed since Hayden was born last January 7th and then I had my birthday the next day.
Well my last birthday totally stunk so it could only get better this year. I can't think of anything worse than spending your birthday in the hospital recovering from a c-section with no baby to hold and only a quick visit from your husband and son!
So this year's birthday was great :)
The weather was unseasonably warm so Kyler Hayden and I walked to the park (you can pretty much walk to any destination in this town:) and we had a ton of fun. I think we had been mostly inside the early part of the week so it was refreshing to enjoy a beautiful day outdoors playing! It got up to 68! I felt like I was in AZ again!
Adam came home for lunch and brought me some roses and a card. It was very sweet. He was however on call that night, so we couldn't go out. I was really bummed about that, but it turned out to be great. Adam takes call from home out here. Sometimes it is crazy and he is gone all night, others he is home with minimal calls and visits. I was blessed that he hardly had any calls and was home most of the night if not all.
Adam always make me a carrot cake from scratch for my birthday. I LOVE IT! It is so good and this year's was no exception. We ordered my favorite pizza, Hawaiian pineapple and Canadian bacon and then sang and ate some cake. Kyler was really sweet and while we were waiting for Adam to serve us some cake he said, "Mommy I am glad it's your birthday." He is so sweet. Earlier that day he also told me I could pick out any toy I wanted at the store for my present and suggested that I get a fire truck or race car. So funny!
Oh and earlier when it was time for Kyler's nap (he has been fighting these lately) I told him the best birthday present he could give me was to take a nice long nap :) He looked at me funny and said "but how will I give it to you?" I think he was curious about how he could wrap it up. But he did take a nap and I was able to enjoy a good book!
Hayden gave me lots of great smiles and cuddles. He is such a joy, and I am so glad we share our birthdays so close. He is my special bday gift!

It was great to spend a quiet evening at home with my boys for my birthday. They really made me feel special and appreciated!

Oh I think I am supposed to write more about something else ....

Some of my birthday wishes & things I would like to accomplish are....

-to continue piano lessons and play a song in church!
-be consistent/frequent in my gospel study
-to enjoy each day with my kids and not waste so much time on the computer and in other tasks that are time wasters.
-spend more time reading and less time watching TV
-to be more out going and make some friends out here... it's been rough, let me tell you! we are in a branch and no one my age/situation lives within 40 miles of me, and no built in resident friends :( the real world i guess!
-go to Time out for Women in Denver in march
and to go to Girls weekend this year!

Anyway I wish you all well and hope you are doing great. Hanging in there anyway! For those in 3 year residencies we are half way I guess. For those in longer programs/ military stuff ( my prayers go out to you :) but at least you will still have that built in support longer with other resident/military moms!
I hope I can see all of you this summer.
love, Rachel

ps. thanks for all the Christmas cards too! I promise I will get one out next year. I love seeing pics of your beautiful families. Happy New Year!


Oh yeah almost forgot, I am 27! :)

6 comments:

The Kalcichs said...

Happy 27th, Rachel! It was so fun to hear from you. I hope you have a great week! And you look great!

Brizzee said...

Happy Bday. You sound like you are doing so good. I am so glad that your birthday was better this year. I hope to see you this summer too.

hughes family said...

happy birthday rachel!! i'm so glad this year's b-day was a little better for you and you could enjoy your 'boys'!! sounds like they treat you very special! good luck finding friends and people to be with in your small town. i bet that is hard. hope you can come to the girl's trip this year!!

Jill said...

Rachel, Happy late birthday. Glad you had a good one. I can't wait to see you at our girls weekend. Its weird that there are babies now in our group that I havent' met yet. I'm just glad we get to see pics or all the cuties at least through blogging. miss seeing you guys.

The Mathews Family said...

Happy late Birthday Rachel!! I'm glad your birthday was good. I hope that all your birthday wishes come true ESPECIALLY the girls weekend one! ;) Thanks for posting this!!

Maggie said...

Happy Birthday!! Also congrats on being halfway done with residency. Sometimes I daydream about what that would be like to be done. Let us know when the job hunt begins. That will be so exciting. I am glad your boys treat you like a queen.