Monday, October 22, 2007

Missing Girls Night



Ok! I need to vent so beware of some whining :) It seems like every time I have an appointment with my OB the only thing we ever discuss is my weight! I know it's my 2nd pregnancy and I have a doctor for a husband so I don't have a lot of other questions, but I always leave feeling fat and guilty. I feel like I eat better than the average person, of course I love ice cream and other treats and I indulge at times, but is that a crime?? I eat a lot of vegtabes and fruit too, I feel like I eat a well balanced diet. When I see what other people put in thier shopping carts I know I eat less sugar and crap than most... I am just sick of sticking up for myself. I keep a food journal and exercise 3 to 4 times a week, on a bad week at least twice. My doctor always is trying to give me tips on eating well and I do them already! I just feel depressed about it all. I have gained 25 lbs so far and I am 28 weeks, so I know I have a ways to go and I will probably gain around 40 lbs again! What's wrong with that? I just make big babies and gain a good amount of weight easily it seems... I have never had body image issues or struggled with my weight so having someone bring it up every time I seem them is getting to me, and I feel like I AM getting body image issues and a complex about my weight gain. Grrrr! Makes me want to switch doctors.... Maybe I will talk to him about it next time, and ask him not to bring up my weight any more. My previous doctor NEVER talked about my weight gain and I liked it like that :) I just hope I can ask him to not bring it up with out tearing up.... how embarrassing!
Anyway, that felt good... I just needed to get that off my chest!
Other wise we are doing great. Adam just finished a rotation where he was around a ton and we just got back from a vacation week in Glendale seeing our new little nephew! It was nice to go back, we were also able to see Jill and fam, so that was great! But back to work and normal life this week and another time intensive rotation! Oh well, it will pass. Kyler is doing great and talking more and more each day. His words are increasingly clearer and he blurts out full on sentences more and more! It seems as if he is changing literally every day! I am getting excited to meet our new little boy and I look forward to having 3 great guys to love. In some ways it is nice being the only girl, at least for a while :) I don't know how we will ever choose a name... I have such a hard time with that. Well I just wanted to update and vent so thanks for listening/reading. Miss you all and wish I hope somehow we can all get together soon!

6 comments:

The Kalcichs said...

Rachel,

I totally feel for you! I'm sure you look great and beautiful and I think you're doing great to have only gained 25 pounds. I gain 25 pounds in the first month! I would totally tell your doctor to back off on the weight issue. If you are healthy and feeling good - then that's all that matters. I stopped looking at the scale when I gained over 50 pounds and I asked them not to tell me. There are just some things that are better left unknown. You are beautiful and healthy and I know your husband would agree! You are growing a healthy baby and that's the most important thing.
Eat up!
-Ann

Shelly and Ken said...

I'm sorry about your doctor. That stinks! I loved that about Dr. Ericksen, he never said anything about my weight gain. If you are eating right and exercising I think you shouldn't worry about your weight. Sounds like you are doing awesome in both areas to me.

I am needing a girls night too. It would be so fun to get together to see everyone again.

By the way, Ann we should totally get together sometime. Even if it is meeting up at Ikea or something. How far away from Ikea are you? Getting together as families would be fun too.

The Mathews Family said...

At least you see the same doctor everytime. I felt like just another pregnant person when I went to my appointments. I'm sorry they focus on the weight tho, especially since it seems like a normal weight gain to me! Good luck with the name thing too. SUCH a hard decision, but you'll find one and it'll be perfect! HUGS!!

hughes family said...

rachel,
i'm just so suprised that he is putting so much emphasis on weight. unless a woman is obese prior to pregnancy, you should NEVER limit calories during pregnancy (especially when they are 'healthy' and good calories). You are a tall person, and you SHOULD be gaining weight!! honestly if it were me, i would switch doctors, because you should NOT feel humiliated and depressed every time you leave his office. But, you could just bring it up with him and say, "hey, i don't really need anymore weight lectures, i'm eating as healthy as ever and i'm exercising, so just let me handle the weight." or something. i don't know, but i'd be bugged too!! hang in there, you are doing great, and you are doing the RIGHT thing!!! by the way, there IS calcium in ice cream... :)
you don't want to compromise you baby's health at all, EAT UP!!!!

hughes family said...

rachel,
i'm just so suprised that he is putting so much emphasis on weight. unless a woman is obese prior to pregnancy, you should NEVER limit calories during pregnancy (especially when they are 'healthy' and good calories). You are a tall person, and you SHOULD be gaining weight!! honestly if it were me, i would switch doctors, because you should NOT feel humiliated and depressed every time you leave his office. But, you could just bring it up with him and say, "hey, i don't really need anymore weight lectures, i'm eating as healthy as ever and i'm exercising, so just let me handle the weight." or something. i don't know, but i'd be bugged too!! hang in there, you are doing great, and you are doing the RIGHT thing!!! by the way, there IS calcium in ice cream... :)
you don't want to compromise you baby's health at all, EAT UP!!!!

banks said...

Rachel,
Hang in there! It is so worth it. I think you are doing great. I agree with you I would love a girls night. love, Kami