Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Is there a bright side?

So Ken is on call yet again tomorrow. He will leave at 5 in the morning on Thursday and won't get back until 2pm on Friday (working 31 hours straight with no sleep). I thought surely there is something positive about being on call so here is what I found....

1.I get the whole bed to myself. No getting woken up by snoring, knees, or getting pushed off the bed.
2. No need for fancy dinners. The girls don't like weird/new things and I don't really care to cook.
3. I can make all the meals Ken doesn't like.
4. I find out how much I am capable of doing on my own.
5. Him never being around is my excuse for why our house is still unfinished (we still have so much painting and renovations to do).
6. No rush to get home in the evening.
7. Save money on gas. (either I don't go to activities or I host them at my house).
8. No question about who is going to do it. Ken is gone so that leaves....you guessed it, me!
10. The kids get SO excited when Ken gets home, it is really fun to watch.
11.There is always something to talk about when Ken is around (cause he has missed so much being gone for 2 days)
12. We sure do appreciate and love Ken when he is around.

7 comments:

hughes family said...

shelly,
i LOVE it!! i was just thinking the same thing this morning--that i need to look on the bright side of 'call'. the kids have only seen jason once all week, and he left again this morning at 5 until tomorrow afternoon. makes me SO excited for saturday when i go to work and the kids get a "daddy day"!! ha ha! i LOVE your list of 'bright side's, they are perfect. i'll have to think if i can come up with anymore, but right now, i've got nothin'!! ha ha!
hang in there--

Maggie said...

I love the list. I completely agree but I found more for me.
Here is my list of brights:
1. I can go to bed when I am tired or when I feel like it.
2. If a child joins me in bed there is plenty of room to go around.

When Jason is on call we go eat at the hospital with him. We all benefit. Jason loves his break, the kids love exploring a new place, and I get to justify eating out even if it is only McDonalds. Plus I get out of the house just to get out of the house and for once Jason encourages it instead of his usual frowning upon leaving the place he worked so hard to get home to.

banks said...

I love the list. It is good to see the positive thing off call. I will try to remember them especially on my rough days (like today). I am always super happy for bedtime on Brett's call days. :) Lucky my kids are all sleeping, and now I am relaxing. YEA!! Thanks again for the list. Kami

Katie and Steve said...

I get the remote all evening long, so that means I can watch 6 hours of Pride and Prejudice, or the TV can be off all night if I feel like it. It is nice to feel fine with eating cereal for dinner, too.
Steve's on call tonight, and Nathan and Rachel have been throwing up like you wouldn't believe, and guess who gets to clean it up... me. But I guess I would anyways LOL
Katie

Jonathan & Rachel said...

Way to see the bright side! We can't wait until next month when he takes a vacation! Thanks for the positives!

The Mathews Family said...

That's a fabulous list Shelly! I think I would add just one thing, and I KNOW you are all thinking it-
13- No "is he going to make the moves" worries at bedtime. You can wear your grubbiest pajamas and not worry that you're not lookin' very sexy. KNOW WHAT I MEAN? I'm just sayin'! ;)

Adam Jensen said...

Funny list Shelley, It is good to look on the positive side!