Friday, February 15, 2008

It's the thought, right?

Thank you all so much for all the Valentines Day ideas! I thought I'd share how my efforts for a thoughtful, inexpensive gift panned out. It's pretty funny, actually!

James was on call Wednesday so the kids and I made heart-shaped cookies and cut out tons of paper hearts. We drove to the hospital, found his car and then I realized that I'd forgotten the key! So, I called him and said that the boys had wanted to say goodnight to him and could he come outside. I was going to ask him if I could see if I'd left my jacket in his trunk and leave the car unlocked. James came and as soon as I opened the car door, Charlie yelled,
"Daddy! We have cookies for you!"
I was upset, but it was funny and at least he didn't know about the decorating we had planned. Well, Dillon was MAD mad mad because he had wanted so badly for it to be a surprise. He whispered (much too loudly),
"Charlie, don't tell Daddy about the decorations!"

James laughed and insisted that we still "surprise" him. After he left, we put the cookies and the hearts in the car and used car paint to write messages on his windshield and windows. THEN just as we were pulling away, it began to rain. HARD. So much for the paint. When James came home, his car had streaks of white paint running down it! Ah!

As for "part 2" of his gift, well I had nearly killed myself working out the day before and could hardly move I was in so much pain! Poor James. Oh well, He was post call anyway, and it's the thought that counts, right?? ;)

Did you guys have better luck? I can see that Dora went for the "quickest way to a man's heart!" YUMMMMM!!!

4 comments:

The Kalcichs said...

Classic! Don't you just love when things work out that way? Damon was on call Valentine's day as well. At least you made an effort for the special day. I'm sure he loved all of it!

Maggie said...

How fun to include the kiddos. Jade made Jason a valentine and ran to the door with it when he came home. It was so cute to watch. After reading the blog I got so excited for Valentine's day. Thanks everyone for fueling our V-day!!

Adam Jensen said...

of course that's how it goes :) pretty memorable though huh?

Joni said...

What a fun thing to do. Sometimes those plans that turn out differently than planned turn out to be the funnest memories!