Saturday, February 2, 2008

A little scare but all is well

Okay, it was a big scare. On Wed my little Hope was feeling a little under the weather all day so we spent the whole day snuggling. Later that evening I went to wipe her nose and she did 5 or 6 very jerky compulsive movements and her eyes rolled back in her head and then she went completely limp and I had to catch her. She came back around quickly right as Austin was walking through the door. I told Austin what she just did and that I was worried. He ran upstairs to change his clothes and then Hope went into a full siezure. I screamed for Austin and he ran down the stairs and gave her a blessing immediately. Her arms and legs were convulsively jerking inward and her head was tilted to one side with her eyes completely dialated and in the corner of her eyes. I was of course crying and calling her name and she wasnt responding at all, this lasted for about 7-8 min. Austin called 911 and the paramedics arrived within 5 min. My other girls were of course scared out of their minds with mom crying and big men running in the house grabbing their baby sister and hauling her out of the house. I went in the ambulance and Austin stayed with the kids long enough to calm them down and settle them in at the neighbors house. In the ambulance we think she had another siezure and this time stopped breathing and had to be put on oxygen. By the time we arrived at the hospital she had spiked a fever of 103 and was unresponsive for about an hour before she started to come around again. The poor baby didn't remember the siezures at all for all she knows she woke up and was being poked with needles by complete strangers. We were transfered up to Childrens hospital and they ran a bunch of tests. Luckily all of the tests came back okay and they were able to chalk these siezures up to Febrile Siezures which can happen to kids between the ages of 6 mo to 5 yrs when they spike a fever too quickly. She is doing great now and back to climbing all over everything and getting into everything. It is wierd how much I joy in that now!!! What perspective can do for you! As I was in the hospital looking back at how scared I was and how I was uncertain of the future for my baby, I couldn't help but think about you Rachel and what a strength you are and how scared you must have felt when they took little Hayden away and you had no knowledge if he was going to be okay. I wish with all of my heart that I could have been there with you! I am so glad that little Hayden is okay. We continue to keep your little man in our prayers. Thank you for being such a strength and example to me! I feel so blessed to have such great friends out there that I can share my hopes and dreams and fears with and gain from your strengths! Lot of love to you all!!!

10 comments:

The Kalcichs said...

Oh, Joni! How scary! I am so glad little Hope is OK. I can't even imagine how horrible that whole experience must have been. That is so true what you say about perspective. I will hold my little ones a little tighter tomorrow and try to be more patient and thankful. I am totally humbled by all that you wrote. Thank you. You are a great mom. I am honestly inspired by all of the Moms in our group. I'll be thinking of your family tonight, Joni.
Take care,
Ann

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh! So scary. I am so glad that Hope is alright. I can't imagine how frightening that must of been. Thanks for your sweet words. It is amazing to me how much my friends and the people close to me view my trials... it's funny you just deal with it and it doesn't seem so big. While reading your blog I was just tearing up and my heart was racing to find out how it all turned out. I was thinking how awesome you and your family are... how you handled everything and then you wrote that about me :) didn't expect that. I hope you understand what I am trying to say :) I think it is just so true that you are only given what the Lord knows you can handle... Love you all!!!!!

hughes family said...

joni, i can't believe it! that sounds SO scary. good thing austin walked in right then. poor little hope, and poor mom! i'm glad she is okay and that its over now. hope she doesn't pull that fast one on you again!

banks said...

Joni, I am glad little Hope is okay. I can't image how scary that would be. Thanks for your inspiring words. It is so wonderful to be a mother, and it is also so amazing to have such good friends like all of you who are such good examples of what a good mom is. Kami

Jill said...

Joni, what a scare, I was sitting here crying while reading even though from the title I knew it was going to be ok. I am glad to hear she is doing Well. You are an incredible mom. Keep taking good care of your family, wish we were with you. Jill

Maggie said...

What a scary moment. I like to think I would be calm but I bet I would be crying my little eyes out. Your kids are lucky that you handled it so well. Let's hope she doesn't have anymore seizures.

Rhett and Dora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhett and Dora said...

Wow, that is scary. Thanks for sharing and educating us on Frebrile Siezures. I still think I would freak out if that happened to one of my kidos. Hopefully you had some Hot Chocolate when you got home to relax. If not enjoy some tonight! Cheers or Scrumps as the kings say on Sleeping Beauty when they are toasting the betrothment of Princess Aurora and the Prince.

The Mathews Family said...

Wow- you just never know when something like that is going to happen! I'm so relieved she's okay and that YOU'RE okay. It's good to have these things happen sometimes - reminds us how precious life is and how fragile at the same time! I too will be hugging my babies a little tighter tonight!

Shelly and Ken said...

So scary! I can't even imagine. I think I too would be scared out of my mind. I can't imagine watching one of my little kiddos seizing...so scary. I am so glad to hear she is ok. I have never heard of this kind of seizure. I have only heard about the type where they get a seizure if their fever is too high. It is amazing how things like this really do give you perspective about things.