Friday, July 20, 2007

hi girls!!

hi everyone! it has been so fun this morning reading everyone's posts! so fun to see everyone adn read about whats going on in your neck of the woods. Life here in Portland is great, we really love it--but i HAD to write when I read Amy's post and say i AM going crazy on many days!! this residency deal is tough--jason even said last night "the real "working" world and having a real job is kind of lame." ha ha! his first rotation was ICU so it was pretty rough, with the call nights every 3rd night and when he was home he was asleep. NICE! anyway, ann, i like what you say, that we take call EVERY NIGHT!! ha ha! so true.

ok, so i called kami this morning to tell her this because i still can't believe it--but, i looked online at the oregon eligibility requirements and we qualify for both food stamps and WIC!! what in the world!!!??! how do i explain that, "oh well, my husband is a doctor..." yet for a family of 6 we still qualify. yikes. but...after drawing up our monthly budget and seeing how tight it could get, i figure i'm going to go for it since we go through milk, cereal and apple juice so fast.

anyway, thought you'd all get a kick out of that. here i so thought we were DONE with public assistance, but not the case. oh well. we really aren't "real" doctors yet, are we? guess not.

hope you are all doing good today. jill, good luck with the house situation. how frustrating for you guys.
you'll all have to tell me how to post pictures, i'm new to the blog thing.
love, megan

3 comments:

The Kalcichs said...

I think it's awesome you can still get food stamps and WIC. I thought that it would be so great to be off of them, but now I'm wishing that I had them again. Food seems so expensive out here and I've never been very good at budgeting for groceries. It's a good thing Damon eats most of his meals at the hospital for free. I'm glad you're on the blog! I would love to see some pictures of you and your kids.

-Ann

Adam Jensen said...

Megan,
It's so great to hear from you! I miss you. I can't wait to see pictures from your event. You are so tough. I have to say I miss food stamps too... lucky :) Our stupid hospital gives Adam $18/mon for when he is on call only, rip off! thank goodness for free drug rep meals. Can't wait for pictures!!!!
love, Rachel

The Mathews Family said...

Megan!! HEY YOU!! So fun to see your post!!

I'm not surprised at all that you guys qualify for more assistance! We almost do too! That's only if we don't count the military housing allowance and they say you don't have to, but I would feel dishonest. Anyway, you should totally take advantage of it. It's only a few more years and a big help, you know? I'm totally in love with being able to shop at the commissary. It's like 40% cheaper than the regular grocery stores here! HUGE help.

PS Ann - that's so awesome that they feed Damon. James has to bring or buy ALL his meals. When he's on call, that means 5 meals in a row!