Friday, August 17, 2007

A Little Moral Support

O.K. I need a little help today. Porter has been sick (throwing up) nearly all week so I've been stranded at home and accomplishing nothing. But this morning, or afternoon now, I'm hitting my breaking point. The boys woke up early this morning because of the garbage truck and the first thing I hear from Porter (he beat Campbell who then said "what's for breakfast?") is "Mason took off his poopy diaper." I trek up the stairs, with Campbell whining for breakfast behind me, to find that it's not just poop everywhere in Mason's crib, but throw up too. He must have thrown up sometime in the early morning because it was starting to crust. So, trying to control my gaging reflexes I strip down Mason because there is crusted puke around his collar and race him downstairs to the bathtub and ask Porter to make sure he stays in the tub. I finally manage to pick off all the huge chunks of regurgitated taco salad (last night's dinner) from off the bedding and his clothes and start heading downstairs to the washer when I slip and fall the rest of the way down the stairs entangling myself in the pukey-poopy bedding and knocking the wind out of myself. I'm going to have some bruises tomorrow. Thoroughly disgusted and out of breath I gather everything back up and carefully but urgently tread down the basement stairs to put everything in the washer because Mason is screaming and trying to get out of the bathtub while Porter is pushing him back in and Campbell is sitting on the toilet yelling for me to wipe him. After wiping Campbell I wrestle Mason back into the water and scrub him from head to toe. Mason hated every second of it, screaming all the way. Of course there were no towels in the bathroom so as I leave to find one, Mason screams louder and slips while trying to get out of the bathtub. I finally get him out and am carrying him out to the living room when Campbell slaps me with a piece of toast wanting me to butter it.

Soon after all that I get a phone call from the lab with results from my blood test a few weeks ago. Nothing is wrong just that my blood came back as O+, but my records show my blood as being O- (which it is), that's what it has been my last three pregnancies. Anyway I have to go back in sometime and have MORE blood drawn so that they can confirm what my blood type is. Idiots. Things have calmed down a little, but Campbell just woke up Mason from his nap and Porter is telling me that he feels sick again so I'd better go.

11 comments:

Joni said...

Oh my Goodness AnnMarie!!! What a day!!! I am so terribly sorry you are going through all of that today! I wish I lived closer (come to think of it, I can't even remember where you ended up) so I could come help out. At least you are not to the point that you are hiding from the kids in some dark corner curled up in fetal position! (although I am sure that there have been moments that you have wanted to.) I wish there was more I could do. There is nothing worse than your kids throwing up (except poop AND throw-up) I am so sorry. Best of luck and hand in there!
Joni

Adam Jensen said...

Oh WOW! that is a morning for the books.... I am glad you are ok from falling down the stairs! Well on the bright side thank goodness you actually have a W/D in your home, just imagine if you had to go to the laundromat or something :) Don't worry tomorrow can't be as bad, right? Fortunately we don't have many days like this, but they sure stick in our minds forever. Although hopefully someday it will be semi-funny, maybe? hang in there!!!

banks said...

What a morning! I thought it sounded rough, and then you tripped down the stairs. I would have been done for then. Anyways, I hope the evening went better, and hopefully Anderson came home tonight and resued you from the "craziness" of motherhood. I've had bad days before with the kids (probably not that crazy), but I know I am always so thankful for a new day. Hopefully you will have a good weekend to make up for today. Hang in there. Kami

The Kalcichs said...

AnnMarie,
I almost cried when I read you post. That sounds like such a bad day. I hope things got better from there. I bet you are so worn out and tired. Hopefully Anderson and your family can help out a bit. I hope the kids are feeling better and that you don't get sick. Let us know how the blood work comes back. When are you due again? I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best.

-Ann

The Mathews Family said...

OI. That one should go down in your journal so you can (hopefully) laugh about it one day. Don't worry, though. Nobody reading this is laughin' cuz we've all been there! I can remember a day last summer that nearly sent me to the psych ward! I actually called my mom and MADE her drive all the way to AZ to rescue me b/c I was really really losin' it. It involved a lot of poop and throw up too, plus it was like 118 degrees and James was in Rhode Island! I'm still not laughing, but maybe some day ;)

I'm so sorry and hope that you can get some relief soon! Darn those early morning garbage pick-ups! That's how it was every Friday in AZ my kids woke up at 6:30 b/c of the darn GBG truck.. Here it's like 7:30 or so, so not too bad.

Anyway, good luck! Sending a much needed (((HUG)))----------->

Maggie said...

AnnMarie I feel for you. I hope that you can ask your mom to take the kids so you can go to a movie in the daytime, alone. That is what I want more than anything and I wish it for you. Don't feel bad when you do it just remind yourself that you are doing it for yourself, Andersen, and the boys. Let me know what movie you saw.

Jonathan & Rachel said...

Oh AnnMarie! Aren't kids great??? It's days like these that keep us humble. Hopefully we all find that they are not the norm-it makes us appreciate the really great days! Hopefully your sick kids get better soon. I remember a mom once told me that there is nothing more precious than a sick kid who just need their mom-it is true!

AnnMarie said...

Don't worry, I did survive and when I re-read my post I chuckled. The boys have stopped spewing and other than a gigantic bruise on one of my knees the incident has been forgotten. It's so nice to know that days like that DON'T last forever. Thanks for all of your sympathy and Maggie, I think I will have to sneak off and watch that new Anne Hathaway movie, "Becoming Jane." I really want to see that one, but doubt that Andersen has the same desire:0)

Maggie said...

AnnMarie I want to see that movie too. Jason has Wednesday off and I think I will make him stay with the kids while I go watch it. I didn't know what movies were playing but that is one I really want to see. Thanks for the idea. Happy movie watching.

hughes family said...

annmarie,
i am just exhausted for you. wow. what a day!! hope everyone is feeling better and you can rest a little. phew!

Brizzee said...

annmarie, you have my full support because i think we all know the feelings you were having that day. sometimes being a mom is so stressfull. i think we all deserve a girls night right about now.